Meet Dr. Julia Durham
“My life is enriched, every day, by being part of an experience that changes each patient’s life, improving their health and giving them the confidence to smile.”
Dr. Durham understands the transformative power of orthodontics; she was Dr. King’s patient as a teen, his clinical assistant during high school and college, and his research partner during graduate school. King Orthodontics is part of her identity and has helped her become the highly regarded practitioner she is today.
Growing up in Midlothian, with a father who was both a physicist and artist, and mother who was a nurse, Dr. Durham was drawn to science, art, and patient care at an early age. Her exposure to orthodontics, through the treatment provided by Dr. King, solidified those passions and fostered a drive to share the same experience with others.
Dr. Durham values her community and the vibrancy of her hometown. She enjoys developing relationships with each of her patients and being part of their lives at a transformational time. Watching people become more comfortable with their appearance, and seeing their self-esteem blossom, drives Dr. Durham to give her all to her patients’ orthodontic journey.
Dr. Durham’s goal, and that of her staff, is to elevate the patient care experience, to ensure each person finishes with a beautifully healthy and confident smile ... and looks back at treatment with fondness.
Beyond the Practice
Dr. Durham grew up in Midlothian and has called the town home for all but the few years she was in Memphis to complete her orthodontics residency and obtain her master’s degree.
She and her husband David, who is a general dentist, met in dental school. The couple has two beautiful little girls and lives with two Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, as well.
When she’s not seeing patients, Dr. Durham enjoys being a wife and mother. She’s very involved with her daughters’ many activities, but tries to make time for herself, too: through yoga and dance, skiing, crochet, and art.
- Mathematics and Science High School at Clover Hill
- Bachelor of Arts in biology with distinction – University of Virginia
- Doctorate of Dental Surgery – Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry
- Graduate certificate in orthodontics and master’s in dental science – University of Tennessee College of Dentistry
Dr. Durham enjoys being part of a dynamic specialty and strives to remain at the leading edge of developments in orthodontics. She attends national and local orthodontic meetings, avidly studies the latest research, and is constantly furthering her knowledge and strengthening her skills. In addition, she is an active member of a local orthodontic study club, where she learns from and with her peers.
Board Certified by the American Board of Orthodontics
Dr. Durham’s pursuit of continuing education has resulted in her becoming a board-certified orthodontist. This distinction is achieved by only 33% of practicing orthodontists and represents her commitment to ensuring the highest standard of care for her patients.
- American Board of Orthodontics, Diplomate
- American Association of Orthodontists
- Southern Association of Orthodontists
- Virginia Association of Orthodontists
- American Dental Association
- Virginia Dental Association
- Richmond Dental Society
- Richmond Orthodontic Study Club
- Mission of Mercy
Publications and Awards
- Co-author of multiple orthodontics publications in the American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics and The AngleOrthodontists
- Voted “Orthodontic Student of the Year” finalist by the Journal of Clinical Orthodontics, 2016
- Inducted into the Omicron Kappa Upsilon National Dental Honor Society, 2013
- Mission of Mercy Volunteer Award, 2013
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Predoctoral Student Award, 2013
- Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry Department of Prosthodontics Certificate of Appreciation, 2013
- J. Marvin Reynolds Prosthodontic Scholarship Fund recipient, 2013
- Eugene Harrison Scholarship Fund recipient, 2011
- Merit Scholarship recipient, 2010-11